Recently, I made a delicious raw vegan cheesecake to perfect a “basic” plant-based version that is unprocessed and healthy. My omnivore boyfriend Aaron LOVED it, so I think it’s safe to say it’s a winner.
This recipe is actually VERY simple to make and can be whipped up in less than 15-20 minutes. Then, all you have to do is let it set in the freezer for 3-4 hours.
Warning, you’ll be tempted to sample the cheesecake any moment you get.
Next time I make this cheesecake, I’ll take better photos. Until then, enjoy this recipe which has been adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie.
Basic Raw Vegan Cheesecake with Strawberry Compote
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Serving Size: 8-10 slices
- 2 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract (alcohol-free)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup or raw honey (for non-vegans)
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp melted extra virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water (plus more to soak cashews)
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1/2 cup almonds or walnuts (soaked for 8-12 hours, rinsed, then dehydrated until dry)
- 1/16 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- *optional* 1 tbsp water to combine
- 1/2 cup organic strawberries
- 3 Medjool dates
- dash of cinnamon
- *enough water to blend to a creamy consistency
- Begin by grinding (dry) walnuts or almonds in a food processor until fine. Then, add the remaining crust ingredients (except water) and pulse until well-combined. If needed, add a dash of water so the crust “sticks” together.
- In a cheesecake pan, either spread coconut oil on the bottom of the pan or sprinkle unsweetened coconut shreds. This keeps the crust from sticking. Next, press the crust mixture into the prepared pan, then cover and freeze until ready to use.
- To make the filling, combine all ingredients (including the 1/4 cup water) in a high-quality food processor or Vitamix and process for 6-7 minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides. Pour into the prepared crust.
- Cover and set in the freezer to set for 3-4 hours. The raw cheesecake can be stored for up to 2 weeks. Thaw for 15-20 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
What are your thoughts? PLEASE comment below and share this recipe!