Okay, so no offense Grandma, but these chocolate chip cookies are in a whole ‘nother realm of awesomeness because they a) use coconut flour (which is SO shocking to see in every store in South Dakota, yet amazing at the same time), b) call for almond butter (which is one of my favorite foods), and c) are very, very – yes, very – easy to make. It was earlier this week I had a baking showdown to determine the best [paleo]chocolate chip cookie recipe, and these buggers won. So yeah, you can thank me (your taste buds soon will). . Back in South Dakota (the freeeeezing mid-west), I have taken it upon myself to create some healthier dishes for my family before I relocate to Colorado, and do think I’ve succeeded with the recipe below:
Better-than-Grandma’s [Paleo] Chocolate Chip Cookies
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes Serving Size: 10-12
1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, melted
1/2 Cup Almond Butter (creamy or crunchy)
3/4 Cup Maple Syrup, Raw Honey, or Muscovado Sugar (or if you’re hard-core like me, use xylitol or stevia to keep them very low-glycemic – much less quantity, though)
1 Egg (local, farm-raised, organic)
1 1/4 Cup Blanched Almond Flour or Coconut Flour (I used Coconut!)
1/2 Cup Walnuts, chopped
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
3/4 Cups Raw Cacao Nibs (or Chocolate Chips or Chunks – optional)
1) Preheat oven to 350 F.
2) Pulse walnuts in a food processor until they reach a texture of coarse sand.
3) Combine coconut oil, almond butter, sugar, egg, and walnuts in a medium-sized bowl. Mix well.
4) In a separate small bowl, combine almond flour, salt, and baking soda. Add to wet ingredients and stir to combine.
5) Add chocolate chips and stir to combine. Let dough cool in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes (or more – don’t skip this step!)
6) For regular-sized cookies, make 1” balls of dough and place on cookie sheet. Flatten slightly and bake for 8-9 minutes.
7) Let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before removing to a cooling rack. Store in a plastic container at room temperature. If you’re looking to get healthier and don’t want to ditch your baked goods, please give some of the raw desserts on this site and these healthy chocolate chip cookies a try. You’ll find that just by omitting certain ingredients found in processed foods, your weight becomes more stable, your mood improves, and you feel better overall. Additives are a b***h.
Here’s to living more consciously and loving the life you lead. *munch*