Oooooh boy, here’s a recipe I KNOW many of you have been waiting for. A few months ago I posted some pics on Instagram of vegan tacos I made for a friend and client, and the response was a bit overwhelming.
Many were enthused, others were skeptical: “Tacos can be made vegan!??”
Yes, yes they can.
You see, ANYTHING can be made plant-based and/or vegan, and that’s the whole fun part of making “food your medicine.” If food tasted blah, no one would want to eat it – including myself.
Luckily, when we eat natural, whole, plant-based foods, our taste buds become more receptive and it’s easier to appreciate the natural flavors in unprocessed, organically grown foods. (And trust me, organic always has more flavor – and nutrients!)
Anyways, these tacos are exceptionally easy to make, and there are a number of ways you can re-create the Mexican-inspired dish of goodness. For example, if you’re not a fan of corn, use lettuce leaves instead of organic corn-based tacos, and/or use salsa with or without the cashew cream.
Follow the simple recipe below and ‘wow’ your friends and family with the goodness of healthy, hearty tacos.
Hearty Vegan Tacos w/ Lentil-Walnut ‘Meat’
Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
Serving Size: 8 Large Tacos
8 Organic Corn Tacos
- (Sprouts and/or Whole Foods 365 Brands are great!)
1 cup uncooked Green Lentils (you will need 1 3/4 cups cooked lentils)
1 cup Walnut Pieces, toasted
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, or to taste
1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons water
Pepper & Onion Mix
1-2 bell peppers, thinly sliced (I used one, but next time I will use 2 for ample leftovers)
1/2-1 large onion, thinly sliced (I used 1/2 onion, but next time will use 1 for ample leftovers)
Fresh Tomatoes, cubed and/or diced
Optional: Sliced Olives, Hot Sauce, and/or Sauteed Onions + Bell Peppers
To Make The Lentil-Walnut ‘Meat’:
- Cook the lentils: Rinse lentils in a fine mesh sieve. Add to a medium pot along with a few cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 20-25 minutes until tender (cook time will vary depending on the type of lentils you use – see package). Drain off excess water.
- Toast the walnuts: Preheat oven to 300F. Add walnuts onto a rimmed baking sheet and toast for 10-13 minutes, watching closely, until lightly golden and fragrant. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Saute the pepper + onion filling: Add 1/2-1 tablespoon of oil into a large skillet or wok. Cook the onion and peppers over medium heat for about 15-20 minutes, reducing heat if necessary and stirring frequently, until translucent.
- Prepare the taco meat: Add 1 3/4 cups cooked lentils (you’ll have some leftover) and all the toasted walnuts into a food processor and pulse until chopped (make sure to leave texture). Stir or pulse in the oregano, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Stir in the oil and the water until combined.
Put it all together!
- Plate 1-3 Taco Shells per plate.
- Fill with shredded lettuce, followed by your seasoned ‘meat’, followed by any and all toppings you love.
- Finally, drizzle on the ‘Cashew Cream’ and/or add salsa.. and voila! Enjoy!
So… what do you think? I hope you make these bomb-diggity tacos and relay how much you and your family and friends enjoyed them in the comments section below!