Homemade Almond milk is a creamy, delicious, super affordable, and a great alternative to cow’s milk.
There’s no need to consume dairy, especially when it’s linked with so many health problems. Read my Becoming Veg guide for more science on this.
You will need:
*Nut Milk Bag
- 1 cup raw almonds (or hemp, pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, etc)
- + water for soaking nuts
- 3 cups water
- *(optional) 2 Dates
- *(optional) ½ tsp vanilla
- Soak the almonds in water overnight or for at least 6 hours (This removes the tannic acid – an enzyme inhibitor)
- Drain the water from the almonds and discard.
- Blend the 3 cups of water, almonds, and optional dates + vanilla until well blended and smooth
- Using a nut-milk bag – strain the blended almond mixture into a large bowl, or using other strainer.
- Store almond milk in airtight mason jars (or other air tight container) for 3-4 days
- You can save the pulp and make cookies – recipe to come!